How To Add Images or Video to an Existing Instagram Story
Instagram is one of the biggest and most popular social media platforms that allow users to share photos and videos with their friends and followers. To enhance user satisfaction, Instagram constantly adds new and cool features which make the app even more fun and interesting. In 2016, Instagram launched their own version of Stories, modeled from a similar element in Snapchat.
Instagram Stories allow you to share multiple photos and videos to document your day, whether you’re in an adventure or just chilling out. These stories can be viewed by your followers within 24 hours; after which, they are saved in your archive. The photos and videos in your Stories are uploaded separately from your Instagram posts.
Creating Instagram Stories
Instagram Stories last for 24 hours (although you can Highlight them to keep them longer) and can be viewed by the world or just by your followers, depending on your privacy settings. For private accounts, only your followers can view your story; on public accounts, on the other hand, everyone can see your stories.
Creating Instagram Stories is very straightforward.
- Open Instagram and select the “Your Story” icon in the upper left-hand corner of the home screen.
- Take a picture or video using your camera and edit it, add effects, filters, and stickers as desired. You can also choose a photo or video from your phone gallery and upload it.
- Once you’re satisfied, tap the “Your Story” icon in the lower left-hand corner of the home screen.
- After your Story has been created, you will see your profile image appear at the top of the news feed. Select it to access your creation at any time while it’s live. After 24 hours, your story will automatically disappear; although ,you can still find it in your Instagram archive or download it to your phone to save it.
Adding New Images To Instagram Stories
After you add your first Instagram story for the day, you might want to create some more. You can add as many photos and videos as you like.
To add new images to a story from your gallery:
- Tap the camera icon on the left hand side of your screen, or simply swipe your screen to the right.
- Take your new image or video, or swipe up in the camera to access the gallery.
- Edit the image as needed.
- Tap the “Your Story” icon in the lower-left of the screen to add the image or video to your story.
- To view your stories back to back, tap your profile picture in the top-left with the words “Your Story” again. When your story plays, you’ll see two grey bars at the top indicating each of your photos/videos.
You can repeat the same steps if you want to add more photos and videos to your Instagram Story.
Where does my Instagram Story Appear?
Once you’ve uploaded your stories in Instagram, they will appear in these places:
- At the top of the feed: You will see your profile picture along with people your follow.
- On your profile: A colorful ring will show around your profile photo, and people can tap on it to reveal your Story.
- In feed next to the post you share: A colorful ring will show around your profile picture when you share a post; people can tap this to view your story.
- In Direct inbox: In your Instagram Direct inbox, a colorful ring will appear around your profile picture. Your friends can tap this to view your stories.
Deleting a Photo or Video from Instagram Story
Just in case you have added the wrong photo to your Instagram story, or you just changed your mind about it, you can always delete it from your Story. Here’s how:
- Open your Story.
- Select More icon (three dots) at the bottom right of your screen.
- Then, tap delete.
Instagram Stories are a neat feature of the app that makes it just that little bit more interesting. The time-limited nature of them is both a benefit and a bane of the system but forces you to be creative quickly. It also means you don’t have to scroll through weeks’ worth of other stories to get to the most recent.