How to Add an International Contact to a WhatsApp Chat or Group
If you want to stay in touch with your friends from other countries or you have international clients, WhatsApp is an excellent option for you. It is a very modern and intuitive app that allows you to chat and make calls and video calls with people from all around the world.
Many people use WhatsApp groups to send photos to their friends or talk about ongoing projects with their team members. The good news is that WhatsApp is free of charge, and you can even make overseas calls without paying a dime. If you’re wondering how to add an international contact to a WhatsApp chat or group, keep reading.
Before You Begin
If you want to use WhatsApp for international calls or chats, keep in mind that you need to have your friend’s phone number. You should save it in the following format: type the + symbol and then the country code. You can find country codes on the Internet, or ask your friend for it.
If you wish to talk to someone but you don’t have a phone number, there are some other apps that you could use. For example, you could use Telegram, an app that is very similar to WhatsApp, but it doesn’t require a phone number to register an account. You only have to know their username to find them and chat with them.
How to Add an International Contact to a WhatsApp Chat?
We will explain everything you have to know if you want to add a new international contact to be able to chat and talk with them for free. Just follow our step by step guide:
- Open the app on your phone.
- In the upper right corner, you will see a small picture that represents a new chat icon. Tap on it.
- When you enter there, you can choose to chat with someone who’s already on your contact list or to add a new contact. If you have already saved your international friend’s number, you should type the first letter of their name in the search bar, and their number should appear.
- If you still haven’t saved their number, you can do it through WhatsApp. Tap on New Contact.
- Now you have to enter your contact’s name and their phone number. If you have a recent version of WhatsApp, you can also choose a country for new numbers. WhatsApp will then automatically add the correct country code, and you only have to add the number.
- When you enter the necessary info, tap the Save button. You will see it in the top right corner.
That’s it! You have added a new international contact to a WhatsApp chat, and you can start talking with them now.
International Contact Info
When you’ve added their name and phone number, you can see the More Fields sign below. Tap on it to discover some other features. WhatsApp allows you to write their address, e-mail, and even their company’s name. That’s great, especially if you have to talk to various international clients every day, and you don’t want to get confused.
If you tap on the Add Other Field sign, you will be able to add even more information. You can write their middle name, nickname, job title, birthday, or social media profile.
There’s also a field where you can write the pronunciation of their name (Phonetic name), which is very helpful when you talk to people from other countries whose names are difficult to read. It is always nice when you know how to pronounce someone’s name correctly, and they will surely appreciate it.
How to Add an International Contact to a WhatsApp Group?
If you wish to add an international contact to a new or existing group, that’s also easy to do. We will show you how.
Keep in mind that only the group admin can add new contacts to the WhatsApp group. If you are not one, ask whoever is in charge to do it, or you can also ask them to grant you the admin status. WhatsApp groups can have multiple administrators, and they have the same authorizations.
There are two ways to add an international contact to a WhatsApp group. If you wish to use the first way that we are about to explain, keep in mind that you first have to add that person to your contact list. And then you can add them to the WhatsApp group.
- Enter the WhatsApp group and click on the group name to move to the Group Info section.
- Scroll down until you see the list of participants. On top of the list, you will see the Add Participants button.
- Tap on Add Participants, and you will get to see the list of your contacts. Click on the name or photo of the user that you wish to add.
That’s it! They should become a member of your group.
Invite via Link
It is now possible to invite new participants via a link. You have to tap on that option, and you’ll be able to send the invitation link via text message or other popular apps such as Facebook Messenger or Viber. It may be the fastest way to add a new participant, but WhatsApp warns you that you should send the link only to people you trust.
Create Your Global Network on WhatsApp
As you can see, there are different ways to add international contacts to a WhatsApp group. The most important thing is that it is not difficult to add them, and you can stay in touch with people from all around the world without leaving WhatsApp. Do you usually use WhatsApp for work or to talk with your friends?
WhatsApp is continuously improving and developing new features. If you know any other useful functionality, feel free to share it with other users in the comments section below.