How To Add Music to Your Snaps or Stories in Snapchat
One of the coolest features to come to Instagram Stories is the inclusion of music stickers, allowing you to attach snippets of your favorite songs to your story with just a few quick steps.
Snapchat has yet to add a similar feature, but with a bit of creativity, you can add songs to your snaps and even link to Spotify to share the music you love with your friends. Here’s how to do it.
Adding Music To Your Snapchat Videos
Adding music from your phone to your Snaps can be done simply and quickly with the music app of your choice – whether that’s your phone’s native music app, Spotify, Pandora, or something else. You’ll just need to go through a few simple steps, and you’ll have music added to your Snaps in no time.
To start, you’ll want to be in an environment where you can actually play music on your phone. If you’re in a classroom or a library, this probably isn’t the process for you. Make sure your volume is turned up somewhere between half and two-thirds; turned up to the max; it will likely distort the volume when being picked up by your microphone.
- Launch the music app of your choice.
- Browse your music and find the song you’d like to add to your Snap.
- Play the song, but pause it right after, navigating to just before the section of the song you’d like to play
- Just before is very important, give it a small margin before it plays the section you want!
- Next, use the multi-task function to toggle back over to Snapchat.
- Launch your Snapchat app.
- The first thing you’ll see is your camera view; switch to the camera of your choice.
- If you’re using an iOS device, swipe up from the bottom to see the Control Center; If you’re on an Android device, swipe down from the top to bring out the Notification Center.
- In both cases, you will see the song you’ve picked for your Snap.
- Tap the “Play” button to start playing the song from where you paused it; close the notification or control center.
- You will see the Snapchat panel again. Tap and hold the “Record” button to start recording, and focus the camera on what you want to record.
- Once you’re done, lift your finger from the “Record” button.
- Snapchat will play the video for you. The portion of the song that was playing while you were recording will be captured. If you can’t hear the sound, unmute the Snapchat app.
- When the playback ends, tap the little arrow icon in the lower right corner of the screen to send your newly made video to your friends.
- Scroll through your contacts and pick who you want to send the Snap to.
- Tap the “Send” button. When they open the snap, your friends will hear the music in the background of the video.
Sharing Songs With Spotify
Assuming you just want to share music, and not add any of your own personal content, Snapchat and Spotify are now working together so you can do this.
Launch Spotify on your phone and select the song you’re listening to.
Tap the three vertical lines in the upper right-hand corner and select ‘Share.’
Tap on ‘Spotify’ and your song will appear with the album cover. You can proceed from here to posting just as you would with any other Snap.
With the newer music story options on other platforms, this seems a little stale. Not to mention, it limits users to only using Spotify. You may be wondering “What’s the point if I can’t be in the Snap?”
Aside from the fact that music is a great way to express yourself or introduce a friend to something you love, you can add stickers, text, and other features to your Spotify Snap before sharing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is some more information about making the perfect Snapchat video:
Can I upload a video with music?
Absolutely. Assuming you have a video that you’ve made and would like to upload it as a Story on Snapchat you can. Simply open Snapchat, tap the dual card icon next to the record icon, and select the video you’d like to upload from Camera Roll.
Uploading a video is easy, it’s getting the music on your video that’s the hard part. One thing we’ve already tried is screen recording a video on iOS and Android with music playing. Unfortunately, as soon as the video began to play, the music app stopped playing.
For this to work, you’ll need to download a third-party app.
Can I download a third-party app to add music?
Based on what we can tell from scrolling through various app stores is that you will need to add music to your video using an external app, then upload it to Snapchat.
You can use something like InShot (a trusted app with a bunch of music options) to add music to a video you’ve created. Once your masterpiece is complete open Snapchat and upload the video from the camera roll using the dual card icon.
Background music will make your Snaps cooler and give a whole new dimension to your one-on-one and group chats. Use the methods described in this article to add a soundtrack to your snaps like a pro. If you’re interested in learning about more Snapchat tips and tricks, check out our article on 5 Extremely Useful Snapchat Tips And Tricks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKiRuBi7sk