Despite your hesitation, you’ve finally decided to join the millions worldwide in creating a Facebook account. Even with reservations to the countless negatives you’ve been hearing about Facebook bias and unjust account takedowns, your friends managed to sway you over to the dark side of social media.
You get through the name, birthdate, email address, and password portions of the creation process and are ready to make it happen. You’ve done it, you’re a member of the Facebook community! But wait, did you give the information provided a once over before deciding to move forward with completion?
Scrambling to make sure everything is correct, you look at the name. First and last, check. Email address? Check. Birthdate? Oh, no. You’ve input March 14, 1988, when your actual birthday lands on March 13, 1989. Everything is ruined now!
Well, maybe it’s not that big of a deal but it can get frustrating seeing the incorrect date looking back at you, taunting you. It also means that friends won’t be notified on Facebook of your impending birthday until after the fact. This simply will not do.
Your mission, should you choose to accept, is to infiltrate the personal information space of your Facebook profile and change the saved birthdate on file. Let’s get started.
Changing Your Birthdate & Age On Facebook
First, there’s a limit to how many times you can change your birthday. If you’ve recently created the profile like in the scenario above, you’ll have to wait a few days before you can proceed with the change.
Once you are able to make the edit, you can do so on desktop computer by:
- Heading to https://www.facebook.com  using your preferred browser and logging in with your valid credentials (email address/username + password).
- From the News Feed page, click your name located at the top-left.
- The top-menu will have “About” on it. Click this tab.
- Scroll down a little bit to the “About” section, and from the left side menu click on “Contact and Basic Info”. This will change the main window.
- Again, scroll down and find the “Basic Information” section in the main portion of the window.
- Hover over the information you need to change. Either Birth Date or Birth Year. This will reveal an Edit button off to the right.
- Click the Edit button.
- When able, change the displayed information to the correct dates.
- Click Save Changes when finished with your edits.
Your newly edited birth date will now be displayed in the “About” section of your profile. You can also change who can see your birthday by adjusting the audience. The audience selectors are located next to both your Birth Date and Birth Year while in editing mode. They can be found off to the right and have an icon that appears as a trio of people silhouettes.
You can choose to hide it from strangers, friends, and family if you want to see who remembers on their own or just let the whole world know. It’s all up to you. Just know that friends and family won’t get a notification about your upcoming birthday if you don’t share the day and month with them.
However, you may also not wish to broadcast your birth year to strangers in fear they may use the information for identity theft. If you’d prefer not to run the risk and instead hide your birth year, change the audience selector for Birth Year to Only Me.
This will make it so that you alone can see your birth year on your profile. You can also do the same with Birth Date but this would also prohibit notifications to your friends when your big day rolls around. Just set Birth Date to Friends in order to keep those notifications rolling out on time.
If you only have access to mobile for the change:
- Launch the Facebook app from your mobile device. Should be pretty obvious as it appears like a white “f” on a blue background.
- After logging in with the appropriate credentials, you should land on the News Feed page.
- Tap on the Menu icon (three vertically stacked lines).
- You can find it at the bottom-right corner of the screen if you use an iPhone.
- Android users can locate their’s in the top-right corner.
- Your name should be located at the very top of the menu. Tap on it to take you to your profile page.
- Tap the “About” tab found just below your profile picture.
- Android users may need to scroll a bit further to find their “About” tab.
- Next, scroll down to the “Basic Info” section and tap Edit. It can be found off to the right of the “Basic Info” heading.
- Android users may need to tap on More About You before finding the “Basic Info” section.
- Under the “Birthday” heading you’ll find two editable options: “Birthday”, which is the day and month of your birthday, and “Birth Year”, the year in which you were born.
- Edit either of them by tapping the month, day or year in order to access a drop-down menu.
- Tap on the month, day, or year you want to change it to in order to display the correct date on your profile page.
- Repeat both of these steps until your information has been corrected.
- Once finished, scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap on Save.
Your information has now been updated and will be reflected in your profile’s “About” section.