How To See Who Viewed Your Instagram Highlights
With more than a billion users, Instagram is undoubtedly one of the world’s most popular photo and video sharing app. Instagram users send an incredible volume of pictures, videos, and direct messages back and forth.
In August of 2016, Instagram introduced Stories, a feature pretty much copied wholesale from Snapchat, but given a robust Instagram implementation. Since then, it has taken the social media world by storm! Stories became a significant part of the Instagram experience. The Story format has continued to make new conquests in the social media space, with WhatsApp, YouTube, and Facebook embracing the idea in subsequent years.
Once you create a Highlight, it stays on your profile permanently until you delete it. In this article, I’m going to tell you about how Highlights work, what they do, how to make them, what they’re for, and how you can tell who has viewed yours.
- Highlights 101
- How to Enable the Archive Feature
- How to Create a Highlight
- How do I Edit or Delete a Highlight?
- Highlight View Counts
- How to Check Who Saw Your Highlights
- Can you see Instagram Stories Without them Knowing?
- Can I See Who Viewed my Instagram Story After 24 Hours?
- Can you See How Many Times Someone Views your Instagram Story?
- Can Someone see that I Viewed their Instagram Story if we are not Friends?
A Highlight is a piece of your story you decided to keep after its default 24-hour lifespan expires. Once created, highlights are visible on your profile until you delete them. You must not confuse highlights to stories. These are related but completely different. Highlights cannot function without stories. You would have to create stories first before you can store them as highlights.
The Highlights feature allows Instagram to put your stories in an archive. Turning on this archival function is a prerequisite to using Highlights. There are many potential uses for Highlights. You can use your Highlights to boost your most popular stories from the past, or stories that perhaps didn’t get as many views that they deserved. People who conduct business on Instagram can use Highlights as a permanent place to advertise products and services.
How to Enable the Archive Feature
Highlights pull from your story archive on Instagram, so to make a Highlight, you have to have some stories in your archive. Turning on archiving is very simple, and I’m going to walk you through the process right here.
- Go to your profile page on Instagram by tapping the person icon in the bottom right of your home screen.
- Tap the Main menu icon, the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner of the screen.
- The menu will slide in from the right side of the screen. Tap on the “Settings” tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on “Privacy.”
- Tap on “Story.”
- Scroll down to the “Save to Archive” toggle and enable it.
Once the Save to Archive feature is activated, Instagram will begin archiving your stories. They still won’t be visible to the public or your followers, but you will have access to them in the app.
How to Create a Highlight
Creating Highlights is very simple. Let’s walk through the process of creating one.
- Navigate to your profile page in Instagram.
- Tap the “New” button – the circle with a + sign located under the Story Highlights section.
- Instagram will show you the archive of your stories. Choose the story or stories you want to make a Highlight from by tapping them.
- Tap “Next.”
- Give the new Highlight a name.
- Tap the cover thumbnail where it says “Edit Cover.”
- Select the photo you want for the cover by tapping on its thumbnail.
- Once you’re done panning and zooming, tap “Done.”
- Tap “Done” once more.
Now your Highlight will appear on your profile.
How do I Edit or Delete a Highlight?
To edit or delete a highlight, you have to follow the following steps:
- Go to your Instagram profile.
- Under Stories Highlights, find the story that you want to remove. Then, tap and hold.
- Select Delete Highlight to remove the story from Stories Highlights, or choose Edit Highlight to add pictures and videos.
Highlight View Counts
If you’re using your Highlights for marketing purposes, or to keep track of such things, you might want to know what the view count is for your Highlight. When you create a Highlight from a story, the Highlight inherits the view count of that story. Any new views after the creation of the Highlight accrue to the parent Story.
Only the first view from each profile registers in this count, which means that there’s no way for you to know whether someone saw the highlight once, twice or ten times. Accordingly, you won’t get a new notification for a new view from the same profile.
How to Check Who Saw Your Highlights
- Navigate to your profile on Instagram.
- Tap the icon of the Highlight you want information on.
- Tap on the “Seen by” button in the bottom-left corner of the screen to see the list of people who saw your highlight.
You can have the option to hide a highlight from someone. You can always undo this by changing the privacy settings in the Settings menu.
Can you see Instagram Stories Without them Knowing?
No, you can’t. However, there is a way to see someone’s story without them knowing it’s specifically you. You can do this by creating a new Instagram account, and watch their highlight from that newly made account. They can’t prove it’s you unless you use your likeness.
However, if an Instagram account is private, the stories and highlights also become private, so you would have to send a follow request to be able to view them.
Can I See Who Viewed my Instagram Story After 24 Hours?
No, you can’t see who viewed your highlights after 24 hours. Normally, your story will disappear after a day, the break down of who specifically saw your highlights will be gone. Even if you add your story to your highlights, you can only see the viewer count, not who viewed it.
Can you See How Many Times Someone Views your Instagram Story?
No, you can’t see how many times someone sees your Instagram story. Instagram Stories only counts who saw it, not how many times they looked at it. The person who looks at your story could see it a million times, and you’d never know. This would probably be for the best.
Can Someone see that I Viewed their Instagram Story if we are not Friends?
Yes, Instagram Stories will show anyone who views your story. Although we don’t condone stalking, if you want someone not to know it’s you, make a different account without your photo. That or, take the plunge and be their friend anyway!
Highlights represent a great way to save your favorite stories and share them permanently with your followers. Those with developed Instagram businesses would find them useful to promote their products and company. With the help of this article, you’ll be able to measure your highlights’ popularity and see how your followers respond to different types of content you post.