How to Download Snapchat on the Kindle Fire
Kindle Fire and Snapchat sound like a match made in heaven. The Amazon device has a huge display and a big resolution. To top it off, it also has a high-definition camera that can provide great snaps.
Since Amazon’s Fire OS is just a branch of the Android system, Snapchat should work smoothly on Kindle Fire. But, there’s one problem – there’s no Snapchat on the Amazon Appstore.
If you really want to install Snapchat on your Kindle Fire, there’s a way to do so. However, you’ll need to download it outside of the Appstore. Keep reading to find out how.
First Step: Allow Installation of Unknown Apps
Since you can’t download Snapchat the easy way, you’ll need to “sideload” the apps. Sideloading is installing the apps on a supported device without using the official app store.
By default, Amazon doesn’t allow you to install third-party apps, so you’ll have to manually disable this security measure. Here’s what you need to do:
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to open the quick access bar.
- Tap the “Settings” button at the right of the bar.
- Go to “Device” (or “Security” in some versions)
- Find the “Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources” option.
- Toggle the option on (or tap the “On” button beside it)
This will allow you to install the majority of Android-supported apps on your Fire OS even if they aren’t on Amazon Appstore. The following section will explain how.
Second Step: Sideload Snapchat
When you enable downloading apps from unknown sources, you can search and download the Snapchat APK file (installation file for Android-based systems) from any website on the internet.
However, since there’s a myriad of these websites available, you should always check if the website is legitimate. This article will use the tested SideLoadKindleFire website as an example, but feel free to pick your own.
To sideload Snapchat, follow these instructions:
- Launch the Silk browser on your Kindle Fire.
- Go to the mentioned website.
- Tap the “Snapchat” tab at the top of the website.
- Scroll down until you find the download link. It’s under the “Download Snapchat Installation File” section.
- Tap the download link.
- Press the “Download” button on the following page.
- Press “OK” when prompted to confirm the installation.
Wait for the download to finish and you can proceed to install the app.
Third Step: Install the App and Enjoy
If you’ve done everything properly, the APK file should be in your downloads folder. Do the following:
- Open the Silk browser.
- Tap the “More” (three horizontal lines) icon at the top-left of the screen.
- Go to the “Downloads” menu.
- Select the Snapchat APK from the list of downloads.
- Press “Install” when prompted.
- Wait for the app to install. You should get a confirmation once the process is finished.
- Tap “Open” if you want to launch the app immediately. Otherwise, press “Done”.
When you open the app, it should look the same as it would on an Android tablet or smartphone. The app icon will appear on your app menu and you can sign in to your account right away. From there, you can start snapping, messaging your friends and using the app as you normally would.
Not All Sources Are Trustworthy
Before you venture into downloading frenzy, keep in mind that not all websites and APK files are safe. There are plenty of cybercriminals looking to abuse people’s willingness to look for apps outside of the Appstore.
A lot of APK files may contain malicious software that can cause varying degrees of harm. For instance, it can slow down your system to the point of unusable, delete your files, or even steal your data. If you don’t have adequate protection software, cybercriminals may use your identity for illegal activities.
The best way to approach sideloading is to always have antivirus software installed. This way you’ll be able to prevent intruders if they can still sometimes evade detection.
Sideload or Wait
Sideloading is a great way to add apps and games to your Kindle Fire that are otherwise unavailable. A lot of users sideload so they can play games such as Clash of Clans or use Instagram on this device.
On the other hand, some Android apps that were previously unavailable on the Appstore have slowly started appearing. With new apps arriving every day, Snapchat may even come to the Appstore sooner rather than later.
Which apps would you sideload to your Kindle Fire? Do you know reliable sites to download their APK from? Share them in the comments section below.