How To Duet with Yourself on Tik Tok
TikTok is a popular social media site that allows users to use their creative processes making short videos. With options for filtering, adding music, and more, this popular application has over 800 million subscribers.
TikTok isn’t just funny videos and fails; some people showcase real talent. Singing, performing stunts, or showcasing “howto” videos, there is a lot of entertaining content on TikTok.
The TikTok Duet feature allows users to record and display their content with another person’s video. As an application that promotes individuality, it also gives people the option to duet with themselves.
The duet option was introduced last year with great success. Celebrities can upload videos for fans to create duets with, couples and friends also enjoy the feature.
Duet with yourself on Tik Tok
Making a duet is as easy as making a normal video on the app. As usual, preparation is key. Those who release great content on the app have well-thought-out material that sounds great. Once you’ve planned, rehearsed, and collected your music it’s time to record.
Record Your Video
You’ll have to start by recording video A. To do this:
- Open the TikTok app and tap on the plus sign located at the lower center of the screen
- Tap on the red circle and begin recording – Tap on the red check mark when finished
- Select ‘Share’
- Select the three horizontal dots on the right-hand side of the screen
- Select ‘Duet’ – Located in the slider bar at the bottom
- Press to record again
- Add comments, effects, or filters
- Publish the finished product
As you can see, recording a solo duet on Tik Tok is actually very similar to recording any video on the app. It’s a case of preparation, recording, and editing. Only this time you have to do everything twice over.
Duets were a part of Tik Tok long before this feature was added. Previously, you would have to download each video and splice them on your computer before uploading it. Now you can do it all from within the app and even perform minor edits as you go.
Duet with a celebrity or someone else on Tik Tok
Some celebrities have uploaded videos specifically for you to duet alongside them. Other people do the same. You can select most, if not all, videos shared on Tik Tok to duet on and it works fine.
- Open Tik Tok and find a video you want to duet in.
- Select Share and then Duet. Your screen should split into two.
- Press record to record your half of the video.
- Add effects, stickers, comments, and publish.
The process is much the same as when you duet with yourself on Tik Tok. You play the video, hit share, select the Duet icon in the popup, and record your side of the video. Again, a lot more work will go into the preparation and rehearsal of the video than the execution but, you get the idea.
Clone yourself and duet in Tik Tok
As well as performing two videos and having a duet with yourself, you can also clone yourself. iPhone users can use a neat app called Video Star, which allows you to record different videos and add them as layers. Someone suggested this app when I was asking about duet videos and said there are some clever videos on Tik Tok that have used this cloning technique to great effect.
The principle is much the same as duets. Only this time, you have to record as many videos as you need for your clone, in different positions. You can use your phone camera instead of the one in Tik Tok. You can record from within Video Star if you prefer.
- Record, however many videos you want to use in your clone. Remembering to use different positions with a mind on the end product as you record.
- Import your videos into Video Star.
- Use the Scissors tool to splice your videos and select Multi-Layer Clip.
- Use the Mask tools to add your videos, so each shows a clone of you within the mainframe.
- Add any effects, change the shape of the layers, or edit as you need.
- Select Done when finished.
- Import the video into Tik Tok and share it as normal.
Why Can’t I Duet on TikTok
If your duet is not working in TikTok, there are a few things you can try. Aside from checking your internet connection, the duet is an option that you’ll have to turn on in the settings:
- Tap on ‘Me’ located in the lower left-hand corner of the app
- Tap on the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner
- Tap on ‘Privacy and safety’
- Scroll down to “Who can Duet with your videos’ and tap it
- Ensure that either ‘everyone’ or ‘friends’ is checked
- Try to tap the duet option again
If Duet is not working at first, try again. There are minor glitches within the application that prompts the “Duet is not available for this video” error.
As we’ve stated above, the perfect TikTok video takes a lot of preparation. Fortunately, you can save the video as a draft to publish later.
- Record your video as stated above
- Tap on ‘Drafts’ option located next to ‘Post’ on the final screen
- Go back to the video by tapping on the ‘Me’ icon located at the bottom
- Tap on the saved video
- Hit the back arrow at the top left to make any changes
- Duet with the video as you normally would
- Either save as a draft or publish
If you’ve worked really hard on a Duet it’s important to remember to save the copy to your phone. If you clear the apps’ cache or uninstall the application, it will delete the draft.
Making Edits After Publishing
TikTok does not make it easy to edit your content after you’ve published it. The only way to do this is by saving the video to your device and re-posting it. During the upload process, the application takes you through the same process as it does when you’re first creating a video.
This is a workaround so you’ll want to be quick about saving the video, otherwise, the app may not let you do it.