How to Edit Sound for a TikTok Video
TikTok has carved its own place in the social media universe. And regardless of the incredible versatility of the content TikTok users provide, music and other sound effects are at the center of virtually every post.
But if you’re a TikTok beginner, you might not know how to add, edit, and generally manipulate the sound on the app to make your post truly represent what you’re trying to say.
Fear not. Even though there’s a bit of a learning curve involved, we’ll cover all the sound editing essentials on TikTok in this article.
How to Edit Sound on TikTok Videos
- How to Edit Sound on TikTok Videos
- How to Edit Sound Length on TikTok
- How Do You Change Sound After Posting on TikTok?
- How to Add Sounds to Your TikTok Videos
- How to Create Original TikTok Sounds
- Additional FAQs
- Editing TikTok Sounds to Perfection
There are two ways to add sound to video on TikTok. You can either use one of the sounds provided by the platform or create your own sound separately and upload it with the video. Many people rely only on the music and sounds already available, so let’s cover how that works first:
- Open your TikTok app on your iPhone or Android mobile device.
- Click on the “+” icon in the bottom center of the screen.
- Record a new video or upload an existing one from your device’s library.
- When it’s done, click on the “Sounds” icon at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Now, select the song you want from the list. Make sure to tap “More” to see the full menu.
- Finally, click on the red checkmark and then tap “Next.”
When finished, you’ll be able to see the preview of the video before posting. If you’re not happy with how the sound turned out, you can start over anytime.
How to Edit Sound Length on TikTok
Now that we’ve covered the basics of editing sound on your TikTok video, let’s reflect on one significant feature: editing the sound length or trimming the audio on TikTok.
Your TikTok video is going to be anywhere between 15 and 60 seconds, so naturally, you can’t fit a full song in the video. However, the portion of the choreography you’ve been practicing might work with only one part of the song, so you need to trim it accordingly.
Refer to the advice outlined above to record or upload your video. Before posting it directly, look for the scissors’ icon on the screen, and then follow these steps:
- When you tap on the scissors, you will see the sound wave appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Use your finger to move to the section of the song you want. You will be able to see the time stamps of the song.
- You can also click on the “Volume” option at the bottom of the screen to adjust how loud you want the sound.
- Finally, preview your video and make sure it’s ready for posting.
How Do You Change Sound After Posting on TikTok?
You might find yourself dissatisfied with the video you posted on TikTok and want to edit it. Unfortunately, the platform has made that impossible.
You’re encouraged to go through all types of editing before you post, but once it’s up, you’re out of options, and that includes changing the sound, captions, and everything else. Your best course of action is to delete the video and start over.
Before doing so, you can tap on the three horizontal dots on the video and select “Save Video,” so you don’t lose it forever, and remove it from TikTok.
How to Add Sounds to Your TikTok Videos
So far, we’ve been talking about sound and TikTok in terms of adding popular music to your videos. TikTok users love the app for its many dance challenges and lip-syncing duets.
However, music is not the only type of sound you can add to your TikTok video. There are many sound effects to choose from. You can add a “Happy Birthday” song or a short clip from a famous movie or TV show scene.
There are many options, and when you tap on the “Sounds” icon, you can use the search bar to explore all the possibilities.
How to Create Original TikTok Sounds
Even TikTok has its limitations when it comes to sound options. When you’re creating a unique post, you often need an original sound to complement it.
There are two ways you can do that. You can either add a voiceover, or you can use a video editing app to add your own sound.
How to Add a Voiceover on TikTok
Voiceovers are immensely popular on TikTok, and they are often used for educational purposes or for telling a short story. If you want to try this feature, here are the steps you need to take:
- Record or upload a video from your library to TikTok.
- Skip the “Sound” icon and tap on “Next.”
- On the next screen, click on the “Voiceover” icon on the right side of the screen.
- Press the red “Record” button and start recording your voiceover.
- When finished, tap on “Save” and continue editing and posting your video.
How to Use Another Video Editing App to Add Your Sound
There’s one more option when it comes to adding a personalized sound to your TikTok video. You can add any sound or song you want by using a third-party sound editing app.
An excellent option is the popular InShot app. It’s available on iPhone and Android devices, and it’s relatively easy to use. You can add anything you want to your video, save it on your phone, and then just upload it to TikTok.
How Do I Make a TikTok Sound Funny?
If you spend any time on TikTok, you will notice that so many posts contain funny sound filters. These are integrated with the platform and can be used for comedic effect. Here’s how you find them:
• Open TikTok and record a video.
• On the top right corner of the screen, click on “Voice Effects.”
• You will be able to choose from several filters such as “Baritone,” “Chipmunk,” “Vibrato,” etc.
• These filters will be applied to your original audio recording.
Editing TikTok Sounds to Perfection
TikTok is a true standout when it comes to social media content. It can be silly, funny, and even educational. But it wouldn’t have the value it has without the sound and music options you can add.
Avid TikTok users are pros at editing image and sound, but that doesn’t mean beginners won’t get the hang of it quickly. Hopefully, the instructions listed above will help you start making some great sounding videos.
How important is music on TikTok for you? Let us know in the comments section below.