WhatsApp tracks your location in real-time and allows you to share it with your contacts. This feature can be very helpful, especially when you are having a meet-up or if you just want to let your friends know where you are.
Using live location in WhatsApp is purely optional and doesn’t add or detract from using any other feature of the app.
However, you can also fake your location in WhatsApp to make it appear that you are elsewhere. This can be useful in a number of circumstances, such as planning a surprise for friends or family, pulling a prank, or when you’re out and about and just don’t want anyone to know where you are.
Whatever reason you might have, keep reading to learn how to fake your location in WhatsApp.
Using Live Location In WhatsApp
WhatsApp Live Location is a feature that allows you to share your location in real-time for a particular period of time. This feature is end-to-end encrypted, so you can be sure that your location can only be seen by the people you share it with.
You can turn live location on or off in WhatsApp depending on your needs. Here’s how to use it.
To use Live Location on Android:
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone and open a chat with the person you want to share your location with.
- Select Attach (the paperclip icon) and select Location.
- Select Share Live Location and then Continue.
- Select a duration that you want to share your location.
- Select Continue to begin sharing.
To use Live Location on iOS:
- Launch WhatsApp and open a chat with the person you want to share your location with.
- Tap the + button on the left side of the chatbox.
- From the menu that appears, tap Location.
- WhatsApp will then take you to a map. On this map is an option to Share Live Location. Go ahead and select it.
- WhatsApp will ask you how long you want to share your live location for; select the amount that’s right for you.
- Now you’re sharing your location!
WhatsApp will share your location for the duration you entered in Step 3 or until you manually stop it. To manually stop sharing your location, select the Stop Sharing icon within the chat window and confirm your choice.
When you share your location, you will see a map of the area with your profile picture to mark where you are. Your location will be periodically updated when you’re static and will dynamically update when you’re on the move.
How to Fake Your Location In WhatsApp
Now that you know how to use Live Location in WhatsApp, you may want to know how to fake your location.
You have two options to do this: You can either manually select a location on Google Maps  or you can use a GPS spoofing app to do it for you.
Manually Fake Your Location in WhatsApp
- Open a WhatsApp chat with the person you want to share your location with.
- Select Attach (the paperclip or + icon) and select Location.
- Select the search bar at the top of the map and type in your location of choice.
- Manually select a location from the map.
- Your faked location will now be shared with the person you’re chatting with.
When I tested this, I appeared on the map where I selected it, but the supplementary address data was incorrect and occasionally appeared blank. This is a bit of a giveaway which is why this is not the best way to fake your location in WhatsApp.
Fake Your Location with a GPS Spoof App
The better way is to use a GPS spoofing app. We have covered these before on TechJunkie and they can work well in this situation. There are a bunch of these apps on the Google Play Store that you can use for this purpose. Some are free while others cost a couple of bucks. Find a good app that has good reviews and doesn’t cost much; then, install it on your phone.
For these apps to work, you will need Developer Options enabled on your phone. The GPS will need permissions to mess with the GPS on your phone and that isn’t covered by standard permissions.
- Open your phone and navigate to Settings.
- Select About Phone and tap your Build Number seven times to enable. You should see a message that says ‘You are now a developer!’ if it worked.
- Download and install a fake GPS app.
- Allow it to access location and provide it the permissions it needs.
- Enable the app to provide a bogus GPS location. Follow the steps at the top to use Live Location in WhatsApp.
After following these steps, your location should appear in the location that you chose in the spoofing app, and unlike faking your location manually, there are no clear giveaways that let people know you are spoofing your location.
Spoofing your location in WhatsApp can be helpful in a variety of circumstances, and by using the methods provided in this article, you can take control of your privacy as quickly and easily as possible.
Do you know of any other effective ways to fake your location in WhatsApp? Tell us about it below if you do!