As part of its ongoing odyssey to compete with Snapchat, Instagram introduced geotag filters to overlay photos and videos. These filters are easily accessible after you take a photo using the app. The filters you can choose from are determined by your physical location. You can also create your own using Facebook location services.
Of course, you can’t add geotag stickers to photos that you pull off of your camera roll. However, you can still tag those photos with the locations you were in/near when the photo was taken on your phone, provided you had your phone’s location services on at the time.
Here is a quick guide to how you can let your friends and followers know where you were when you snagged that awesome shot or took that quirky video.
Adding Locations to Existing Photos
Let’s start with tagging photos that are already in your camera roll. Follow these steps to let your friends know where you were when you took the photos.
- Tap to add a new photo.
- Tap Library.
- Edit and add photos.
- Tap Next.
- Choose from the location tags under Add Location or tap Add Location for a longer list.
The locations listed here pertain to your GPS location when you took the photo with your phone. If the photo came from some other source, then there may not be any location options.
Adding Geotag Stickers to New Photos
If you want something flashier, then take a live photo and add a geotag sticker to it. Follow these steps to find your geotag sticker options.
- Swipe right to start a Story or take a photo.
- Snap the photo.
- Tap the sticker icon in the top right.
- Tap Location to add a location sticker.
If you continue to tap the location sticker you’ve added, then you can change the font or color. In some cases, you may see unique location stickers on the regular sticker menu.
Creating Your Own Geotag
Can’t find the location name that you’re looking for? No problem. You can create your own location sticker for your event, business, or other needs using Facebook.
Start by turning on location services:
- Go to Settings on your phone.
- Tap Privacy.
- Tap Location Services.
- Tap Facebook.
- Turn on location services for Facebook according to your phone’s options.
Create check-in status on your Facebook account:
- Scroll to the top of your news feed.
- Tap in the box that reads “What’s on your mind?”
- Scroll down and tap Check In.
- Type the name of the location you want to add. Capitalize the first letter and don’t use any emojis or symbols.
- Scroll down and select Add.
- Choose the category that best describes the location.
- Select “I’m currently here.”
Now you can open your Instagram app and create a new post. Add a location sticker as described above. You should see your new location there. You may have to search for it if you don’t see it right way. Remember, that you’re not the only one. Anyone else in your vicinity who is looking to add a location will be able to add yours.