How to Change the Background Color of an Instagram Story
With an impressive array of features, Instagram stories allow you to get creative and have a lot of fun while at it. With the limited capabilities for interaction between users and their smartphones, Stories maximize this experience through a mix of taps, holds, and swipes.
Changing the Background Color
Having a plain, one-color background may seem like something that’s a default setting when creating an Instagram Story. Since IG is a photo-oriented service, a plain background is not something you should normally expect from Instagram.
That’s why creating a plain background for your story, requires a few steps, starting with a photo:
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone.
- Use the in-app camera to shoot a random photo.
- When you take the photo, tap the pen tool. It’s the first icon from the left in the top menu.
- Tap the color you like from the menu in the lower portion of the screen. If none of the offered colors look appealing enough, you can always tap and hold one of them to open the color picker menu. Here you can choose from millions of available colors by simply moving your finger across the palette.
- When you’ve selected the color, tap and hold anywhere on the photo that you see on the main screen. That way, you will fill the entire photo with the chosen color, creating a plain background.
With the background uniform in its appearance, now you can add text or emojis anywhere you like.
Adding a Transparent Overlay
Learning how to create a solid background for your Instagram Story is just the beginning. If you choose to have the photo you just shot but still need to add text that pops out, then you can do this by adding a transparent layer over the photo.
- Take a photo using Instagram.
- Tap the transparent pen tool from the top menu. It’s the second icon from the left.
- Choose a color for the overlay.
- Tap and hold anywhere on the photo to create the transparent layer.
That’s useful when you want to hint at something about your photo while adding a text that’s supposed to be the focus of your post.
Using the Eraser Tool with the Overlay
When you want to direct attention to a portion of the photo, the eraser tool is a great way to do it.
- Take a photo
- Add a full-color fill or a transparent overlay to your photo, as explained in the previous two sections.
- Tap the eraser tool from the top menu, which is the fourth icon from the left.
- Tap and drag on the portion of the photo you’d like to stand out.
The eraser tool will follow your finger, allowing you to delete portions of the overlay. That will reveal that special thing in your photo you want people to focus on. You’ll also have the rest of the screen available to type some text, tag people, or add hashtags.
Create a Rainbow Text
With the background of your post sorted out, you can add any text you like. While you can choose any color for your text, you can also have it appear in the rainbow colors. Here’s how to do that.
- Add text to your post.
- Select the text.
- Use your right thumb to tap and hold on the purple color from the bottom menu.
- While holding the color with your right thumb, use your left thumb to tap and hold the text selection cursor at the end of your text.
- Now slide both thumbs to the left at the same time.
And there you go! Your text is now in rainbow colors. Thanks to this neat trick, you can have your Instagram Story stand out.
Use the Same Image for Several Stories
If you want parts of your text to appear over a couple of Stories, but want to keep the same background, there’s a way to do that as well.
For example, you might want to list your top five films from the last year with number one being the last. Or you’d like to share “how-to” advice that takes a couple of steps, having each step appear in succession of stories.
- Create your Instagram Story using a background photo and adding text.
- Tap “Save.” It’s the first icon on the top menu. That will save the current look of your story to the camera roll.
- Add more text to the story.
- Save it again.
- Proceed with adding more content to your Story until it’s finished.
- Once your Stories are ready, post them in the order you’d like them to appear.
Thanks to this trick, Instagram allows you to create Stories that look more like animation than a static photo.
Engaging Instagram Stories
With a couple of tricks under your belt, you’re ready to let your creativity flow with Instagram Stories. Thanks to all the tools Instagram provides, it’s certain you’ll make your Stories really stand out and engage your followers.