Do you want to get back into the dating game after a shorter or extended break? Nowadays, that is easy thanks to the numerous dating services and websites. One top-rated service is Plenty of Fish or POF for short.
There is a flaw with POF, as with most other dating services. Some of the profiles are fake. If you want to learn how to tell if the POF profile is fake, keep reading. You will learn about different methods for figuring out such profiles, why people do it, and how to stay away from them.
Why Do People Make Fake POF Profiles?
You are not the only one wondering why some people decide to make fake dating profiles on various sites, including POF. There are several reasons, but the most prominent ones are low self-esteem, wanting to scam people, as well as sheer boredom.
People with low self-esteem are everywhere, and if that’s the reason why they are faking, you can at least try to understand them. They are not evil scamming liars who try to steal your money. That kind of fake profiles is the worst and the most dangerous.
Scammers are running rampant on all dating services, and there is no exception or safe place. However, they usually aren’t too bright, and you can see them from a mile away. We’ll discuss them in more detail later.
Bored people are slightly more malicious than the lonely ones. They are toying with people’s feelings, and there is no excuse for that. The thing they are doing is called catfishing, and they are often messing with people using hot profile pics, and claiming to be somebody else.
On rare occasions, there are also jealous significant others, stalkers, and internet trolls. You should report all sorts of fake profiles if you happen to get in touch with them on POF.
The Best Way to Avoid Fake POF Profiles
There are specific measures you can take to stay safe from fake POF profiles. If you can, don’t communicate with them at all. As soon as they send you outgoing links, or try to move the conversation away from the POF platform, disengage from communication.
Scammers would often try to lure you into clicking on shady links containing malware or selling you some products. Only move to other platforms when you know that you can believe the person. There’s no telling when to trust a person on a dating site, but use POF for at least two weeks before moving the talk somewhere else.
Don’t worry because scammers don’t like meeting in person. They always come up with some excuses, even if they claim that they live near you. That’s also a smart way of testing a scammer, ask them out and see what they say. You don’t need to go through with it. We advise not even considering it.
Become a Dating Site Sleuth
This list could be very long, so let’s list the most common tells of fake POF profiles. Here are the steps you can take to determine how genuine a profile on POF is.
- Their profile looks out of the ordinary, with over the top pictures or About Me sections. Sometimes the images are out of place, showing cleavage or their swimsuit. These are undoubtedly fake profiles unless they have more than a few pics, and some of them are tasteful.
- The about me pages of fake profiles are usually short and monotonous. If it seems robotic to you, it is likely a fake profile. Look for profiles with longer descriptions and proper use of grammar if you want to stay safe.
- Besides the short about me page, fake users also have only one or two pictures on their profile. When a profile seems too effortless, it is most likely fake.
- They will try to convince you to use other means of communication. Never say yes to that if you’ve only met the person. These are often automated messages. Ask them something particular if you want to see if you’re chatting with a bot or a human being. Always keep a keen eye on the grammar, as it can help you notice a fake profile.
- Take into account their profile picture, description, and who they are claiming to be. If the person looks a lot younger than they say they are, the profile is probably fake. Most scammers pretend to be attractive women, please don’t fall for that like a typical lonely guy.
Reverse Search Their Picture
If you are talking to a hot stranger on POF, always consider searching up their image on Google. It’s easy, follow the steps:
- Right-click the suspect’s picture on POF. Select Copy Image Address (or URL).
- Open Google image search .
- Click on the camera icon next to the search bar (Search by Image).
- Paste the image address you copied in step 1.
- Click on Search by Image.
- If you get many results of the same photo model (they probably took a celebrity, model, or stock image photo online), you can safely assume this POF profile is fake. Often, these scammers use the same picture on more than one dating website.
That’s a very reliable way of recognizing scammers on POF or any other dating service. Don’t forget to image-search a sketchy profile when unsure of its authenticity.
Don’t Get Catfished
With the advice you got here, it will be nearly impossible to get scammed on POF or any other dating website. Always report a profile if you notice that it is fake so that admins can remove it from the platform.
If an image is unrealistic, consider an image search for this person. In case they sound funny or odd, ask for specific details or ignore them altogether.
Has anyone tried to scam you on POF or any other dating platform? Do you know of any other way to spot a fake profile? Let us know in the comments section below.