When you create a Tik Tok account, you’ll have to come up with a username and password combination. Your username will be the name you use throughout the platform. However, what happens if you want to change your username? There’s a chance you might end up hating the username you came up with when you started.
Luckily, TikTok allows users to change their usernames, with some minor limitations. Here’s everything you need to know about changing your TikTok username.
How to Change Username on TikTok
- How to Change Username on TikTok 
- How to Change TikTok Username Before 30 Days 
- How to Sign Into TikTok 
- How to Change Your TikTok Profile Photo 
- Additional FAQ 
- Starting on TikTok 
Only a few steps are involved to change your TikTok username successfully. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the TikTok app on your phone.
- Log in with your username and password.
- Tap on Me on the bottom right corner of the app. This will bring up your profile screen.
- Tap on the “Edit profile” button in the middle of the screen.
- In the edit menu, select your current username to bring up a new menu.
- Tap on the textbox with your current username. Remove the previous name from the textbox and type in a new username of your choice.
- Note that you can only use letters, numbers, underscores, and periods for a username.
- When you type your desired username, TikTok will compare it against username limitations and all usernames in its database to prevent duplicates. Since usernames have to be unique across the platform, two people can’t share a username.
- Tap on the Save button on the top right of the screen.
- You’ve successfully changed your username on TikTok.
Note that you can usually change your username every 30 days, so make sure you don’t make any mistakes when typing in your new username as you won’t be able to change it during this timeframe.
How to Change TikTok Username Before 30 Days
Usually, TikTok only allows username changes every 30 days. However, there’s a workaround for this limitation. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to your phone’s Settings.
- Depending on the exact phone type you’re using, the next step might differ. On Samsung phones, you need to find the General Management section. On some other devices, you need to go into Additional Settings. On newer Android versions, you need to scroll down to System. On an iPhone, select General.
- Tap on Date & Time.
- Find the Automatic Date & Time setting and disable it.
- Tap on Set Date. A calendar or date selection menu will pop up.
- Select a date that is at least 30 days from the last time you changed your username. To be safe, select the next month and add an additional few days if you don’t remember when it happened.
- Click on OK, Done, or Save (depending on your device).
- Now that you’ve changed your phone’s date, log back into TikTok and change your username.
- Now, go back and revert the date change to not mess with your phone further. Having an incorrect date setting can cause other apps to work improperly.
As you can see, the workarounds on date-based limitations are quite simple and effective, and it will only take a minute to go through the entire process, rather than waiting 30 days to get your desired username.
How to Sign Into TikTok
Singing into TikTok is easy:
- Download and install the TikTok app from Google Play Store or App Store.
- Open the App.
- Select how you’d like to sign in. You can choose email address, phone, or other social media.
- Create a new account, or use your account credentials to log in.
How to Change Your TikTok Profile Photo
When you make a new TikTok account, you start with an empty profile page, including a non-existent profile photo. Changing this photo is simple. To do so, follow these steps:
- Select Me.
- Tap on the Edit profile button.
- Tap on Change photo.
- You can choose a picture from your Photo Gallery by choosing the Select from Gallery option. Then, select the image you like and tap on Confirm in the bottom right corner.
- Alternatively, you can use the Take photo option. You’ll need to allow TikTok access to your camera to take pictures and record videos. Take a photo you’d like to use. Tap the checkmark if you’re happy with how it turned out, or X if you want to try again.
- You’re done! You now have a TikTok profile picture.
Your profile photo is one of the first things other users will notice about your account, so make sure it represents you or your brand well.
What Should I Make My TikTok Username
Your TikTok username should be simple and representative of how you want to appear to the general audience. A really attractive, cool-sounding nickname will help you stand out amongst millions of active users and ultimately, help you get a good following. While your content is the deciding factor in getting a follower base, your username can also be an important start.
There are online tools to help you decide on a good-looking username if you’re stuck for ideas. A website like nickfinder can be a decent platform to start with.
How Can I Change my TikTok Username and Password
Unlike changing your TikTok username, password changes are slightly different. If you’ve forgotten your password and can’t log in, follow these steps:
• Open the TikTok app.
• Tap Sign In, then Log In on the bottom of the page.
• Select Use phone/email/username, depending on what you’ve used to create the account.
• Tap Forgot Password.
• Use your phone number or email to reset your password.
If you want to change the password while you’re already logged in, follow these steps:
• Tap on Me.
• Tap on the three dots on the top right corner.
• Select Manage Account.
• Tap on Password.
• Follow the instructions to reset your password and create a new one.
If you’ve used a different social media account to make a TikTok account, you’ll need to go to that platform to change the password.
What Are Some Good Tips for a Good Username on TikTok?
We’d recommend not using profanities or obscene words as part of your TikTok account, as that might get you banned from the platform. Additionally, try not to give away any hints in your username as to what your email address and password might be, as that can pose a security risk.
Generally, we recommend catchy, simple names that your audience will remember. One thing to consider is the names you’re using for other social media accounts. Keeping names similar across social media will make you more recognizable across different platforms and give your accounts a uniform, clean appearance. No matter what you choose, your username is the first thing many people see when encountering your content, so make sure you plan wisely.
How Many TikTok Users Are There?
The exact numbers aren’t publicly available, but according to some statistics, TikTok has 800 million active users monthly. However, the app has recorded over two billion downloads, meaning the exact number of users is likely to be larger than that. Overall, TikTok is currently one of the most popular apps worldwide.
Starting on TikTok
Now you know how to change your username, profile picture, and password on TikTok. Sometimes, getting a fresh start is good for your brand’s image and creativity. Usernames are an important aspect of each profile, and a catchy one is more likely to get a larger following.
What are your tips regarding a TikTok username? How often do you change your username? Let us know in the comments section below.