How to Remove Mentions from Twitter
Getting mentioned on Twitter is a great way to keep track of interesting things. Whenever your friends mention you in their Tweets, you can easily check out their suggestions.
Other times though, mentions could turn out to be nothing but spam. Furthermore, some Tweets could hold certain negative implications against you. True or not, it’s never great to see such things. The situation can get even worse if Tweets become malicious or abusive. That’s why people are eager to find out if they can delete such mentions.
Can You Remove Twitter Mentions?
One thing to keep in mind when using Twitter is that all Tweets are public. Those that include your mention are actually Tweets that other people created. Hence, there’s no way you can completely remove any mentions on your own.
That being said, if the sender is friendly enough, you might approach them personally. If you politely ask them to remove your mentions from certain Tweets, they might comply. Unfortunately, that’s not something many people would do, especially if they’ve picked on you for some reason.
Even though you can’t do anything about the unwanted mentions, you can at least remove them from the “Mentions” list in your Twitter app. To do so, you can either block the sender or report the Tweet.
Blocking the Sender
If you feel that a person isn’t worth your attention on Twitter, you can use the “Block” option. This will essentially remove all their Tweets from your feed, both good and bad.
Please note, after you block someone on Twitter, they’ll no longer be able to send you messages or follow your account. Also, you won’t receive any new notifications from this user in your Twitter feed anymore.
To block a user, follow the steps below:
- Open your Twitter app.
- Tap the “Bell” icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the “Mentions” tab at the top of the screen.
- Locate the mention you’d like to remove from your list and tap it.
- In the next screen, tap the arrow pointing down next to the sender’s name.
- Tap the “Block @username” option.
- A pop-up notification will appear. Confirm your action by tapping the “Block” button.
Once you do this, all their Tweets will immediately disappear from your Twitter feed.
Reporting Tweets or Users
Sometimes you may receive dozens of Tweets that mention you. These are all probably spam, so it’s ok to report them. If someone is acting abusively towards you or even getting potentially threatening, that’s definitely something you should report.
In order to report such Tweets, check the next few steps.
- First, tap the “Bell” icon in your Twitter app.
- Go to the “Mentions” tab and locate the Tweet you want to report.
- Tap the arrow as explained in Step 5 from the previous section.
- Tap “Report Tweet”.
- Now select one of the reasons why you want to report this. There are four options:
- I’m not interested in this Tweet
- It’s suspicious or spam
- It’s abusive or harmful
- It expresses intentions of self-harm or suicide
- Follow the instructions dedicated to each of these options to confirm your choice.
- Once you confirm it, the reporting process is done.
Please note that if you select “It’s abusive or harmful”, you’ll have to go through a couple more steps:
- First, you’ll have to choose one of the options to further describe how this Tweet is abusive or harmful.
- Then you need to confirm if it contains private information – answer Yes or No.
- After that, you’ll also have to tell Twitter whether this account is threatening you or someone else.
- Finally, you need to select up to five Tweets that will serve as evidence of the malicious behavior.
- Before you tap “Send report to Twitter”, you can also type in the explanation about what happened in your own words.
Keep in mind that when you report someone this way, Twitter won’t immediately ban their account. It will take a certain number of corroborative reports from other people as well. Once that happens, Twitter will need to assess the allegations before taking any disciplinary action against that particular account.
Unwanted Mentions Removed
Hopefully, these recommendations will help you to get rid of any unwanted mentions. If you want to block or report malicious users and their Tweets, think about it twice before actually doing so. Although you won’t be able to completely remove them from Twitter, at least you can make these mentions disappear from your feed.
Have you managed to remove the unwanted Twitter mentions? Which option did you choose? Please share your thoughts on this topic in the comments section below.