How To Add Your Own Music To A TikTok Video
TikTok is a popular app for creating some of the most fun and exciting videos on the internet. You can express how you feel by using one of many different effects, but did you know that you can also add your favorite music to your video?
This article will show you how to do that, as well as some other cool things to make your video unique.
How Do You Add Music To TikTok Videos?
- How Do You Add Music To TikTok Videos?
- Fine-Tune the Background Music
- Add Trendy Music To Your Videos
- Discover New Music
- Borrow The Music From Someone Else
- Master TikTok In No Time
- Frequently Asked Questions
There are a couple of ways to add sound to your TikTok video. Unfortunately, TikTok used to offer a feature to simply upload your own sounds and music, but now that option isn’t there anymore. So, we’ve found a few workarounds to get the job done.
The first option lets you record the video within the Tiktok app. For a workaround, it is quite simple.
The second way to add your own sounds to your TikTok video is a bit of a workaround but gets the job done.
Method 1 – Using TikTok’s Voiceover Feature
We can use TikTok’s Voiceover feature to add high-quality audio to your TikTok masterpiece. Here’s how:
- Open TikTok, tap the + symbol at the bottom of the home page and record your video. Once done, click the red checkmark to move forward.
- Next select the Voice Over icon located on the right-hand side. Then select next.
- Record your audio by pressing the record button. Be sure to uncheck the box Keep Original Sound if you only want the new sound.
- When your audio is perfect, click Save in the upper right-hand corner.
The final steps are pretty much the same as the steps you’d take if you were uploading any other video. Simply add any captions, change your audience, save as a draft, or hit ‘Post’ at the bottom of the screen to let the world see your masterpiece.
That’s all you need to do to add your own audio to your TikTok video. But, if this doesn’t work for you, or you need something slightly different, keep reading.
Method 2 – Upload the Perfect Video from Another App
The following steps show you how to upload music to TikTok; we assume that you’ve already recorded your video. Make sure that all of your settings are in place before doing this step, because your video may not come out right otherwise.
- Record video, then save it to your phone.
- Upload your MP3 and get it ready on your device.
- Select the plus icon on the main window of the app.
- Select the Upload option from your account and select the video you just uploaded to the app.
- You’ll now see a black window split into two screens. The top screen will show your video, while the bottom screen will show your timeline. This is the editing interface you’ll be working with for every video.
- Press Next in the upper right-hand corner.
- Tap Sounds at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Volume at the bottom and turn the Original Sound to 0 to make it easier to edit.
- Now select the soundtrack you want for the video.
- Click on the audio editing icon at the top of the toolbar. It looks like a music note with scissors. Now you’ll be able to see the soundwave of the music.
- Adjust your audio as you see fit.
You have to put in a lot of work into each video if you want to become famous on TikTok. It will take some time before you master all the effects and features you might need to record the perfect video.
You can also use a video editing app if that makes it easier. Something like VideoShow or InShot which allows you to add your own music to your videos. Once you’ve added the music files save the video to your device, then upload it to TikTok.
That means that you have to add the right music to cancel background noises and make the video fun to watch. We have a few more ideas on how to make the music in your video just right.
Fine-Tune the Background Music
You have to add the right track to your video to make it stand out and get rid of annoying background noises. You can post a video without a track, but it’s highly unlikely that it will draw much attention. Put some effort in, and it will come back to you.
Getting rid of background noises is super-easy because TikTok comes with a built-in feature for that. You can either lower the noises or mute them entirely. Tap on the Mixer icon. Drag the “Original Sound” slider all the way to the left. Replace the original sound with your Soundtrack and drag the slider to the right.
Trim the Song to Make It Fit
Sometimes you might need a specific part of a song to add to your TikTok video. If the said part is in the middle of the song, you’ll have to find it and cut it out. Trimming audio files can help you make a bigger impact on your viewers, and here is how you do that.
- Go to the Add Sound page and select the “Trim” icon, right next to the “Mixer” icon.
- Drag the Trim icon to the start point and adjust the length of the audio clip. The part of the track you wanted will show up in blue. Hit “Done” when you trim the song.
Add Trendy Music To Your Videos
You can add popular music to your video right from the app because TikTok has a unique option called Trending within the Music tab. Click on it, and you will see the entire collection of popular songs you can use for your video. You can save all popular songs to My Favorites and use them in future videos.
Discover New Music
Sure, using songs you know in your videos is a good starting point, but TikTok can help you find new music you may like. The Discover tab can guide you to completely new genres and artists you didn’t even know existed. You can find the tab by tapping Add a sound and then tapping the Discover a Sound button.
Borrow The Music From Someone Else
TikTok makes it possible to add other people’s music to your video with a few taps. You can add any audio to your new video by tapping on the Album art at the bottom right corner. You will see all users that used that particular track in their videos. Hit the Record button and make the video you want. Save it and add extra effects using video editing apps, to make it stand out.
Master TikTok In No Time
TikTok is one of those apps that allow you to express your creativity without limits. You can use many effects and features to come up with some cool lip sync videos, or you can add dramatic music to complete the scene. With a little practice, you might become the next TikTok star.
Frequently Asked Questions
While some users still have the option, others do not see the button to add their own music to TikTok. This button disappeared after the latest TikTok update and likely has something to do with the legality of Tiktok’s music rights.
If you are using an updated version of TikTok, you’ll have to either edit your video using a third-party app then upload it, or follow the MP3 method we’ve listed above.
Can I add sound effects to my TikTok video?
Absolutely, and we have an entire article on how to do it here. TikTok’s video editing page has an option for users to add a Voiceover. Use this button to add sound effects or even music.