How to Delete Search History on Instagram
Instagram makes it easier for you to access related searches by saving your search history when you use its Explore function. Clearing the search history though refreshes your searches, allowing you to discover other people, hashtags, or topics, that you might be interested in. In this article, we’ll show you a few things about how to delete your search history on Instagram.
Removing Individual Searches
Instagram allows you to individually remove any of the items or hashtags that you search for from your search history. This is useful if you want to keep the rest of your searches intact as it does make it easier to look for related items on its suggested searches. To do this, you should follow these steps:
- On Instagram, proceed to your Profile page. You can access this by tapping on your profile icon on the lower right corner of the screen
- Tap on the menu icon on the upper right corner, then choose Settings at the bottom.
- Tap on Security.
- Tap on Search History. This will give you a list of all the items that you’ve recently searched for.
- Alternatively, you can access a filtered list by tapping the Magnifying Glass icon on the bottom of your screen, then tapping the search bar above. A list of your recent searches will be shown below the search bar. The searches can be categorized under Top, Accounts, Tags, or Places.
- You can remove an individual search from the list by tapping on the x on the right side of their names.
Clearing the Entire Search History
If you want to remove the entire search history so that your related searches will be wiped clean, you can access the option back on the Security tab. You can’t access the settings using the search bar shortcut so you’ll have to open the settings tab. This is done by:
- Navigating to the Security menus by going through the Profile page then choosing Settings.
- Tapping on Search History.
- While on the Search History Menu, Tapping on Clear All.
- You will be shown a prompt warning you that you will not be able to undo the clear all action. If you’re ok with this tap on Clear All.
- Your entire search history should now be wiped clean.
Do note that some of your old searches may still appear on the recent search page. This happens if you search for the item frequently. You can remove these searches individually by following the steps listed on how to delete individual searches.
View Deleted Search History
Instagram has disclosed that deleting Search History cannot be undone and that it will be cleared from your device. This is not necessarily true though, and if you want to review your old searches, there may still be a way to recover them.
This isn’t guaranteed, as some of your searches may have been deleted before Instagram was able to back up the related data. But if you have older searches, going to the Access Data menu may allow you to view them:
- Open the Profile menu by tapping on the profile icon on the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the menu icon on the upper right corner.
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap on Security.
- On the Data and History menu, Tap on Access Data.
- Scroll down to Account Activity, and tap on View All under Search History.
- If you have older searches, it should be saved here. If the tab is empty then Instagram has not had the opportunity to back up that data.
- You can also choose to download all related information that Instagram collects by tapping on Download Data on the Security Tab. Once there make sure the email address you want that data sent to is correct, then tap on Request Download.
- Once the email is sent, download the zip file to your computer.
- The files that are sent are marked as .json files. These can be opened by any text viewer such as Notepad or WordPad.
- You can review all your Instagram data from here.
Discovering New Results
Although extremely useful for going back to old topics that you frequent, your old search history data can limit your new searches. If you want to discover new things, deleting your search history is a great way to ensure that you get results that are new and fresh.
Do you know of any other ways to delete your search history on Instagram? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.