How To Fake your Location in WhatsApp
Sharing your current location is one of the features that WhatsApp users can use. The app tracks your location in real-time and allows you to share it with your contacts. This feature could be very helpful especially when you are having a meet-up or if you just want to let your friends know where you are.
Using live location in WhatsApp is purely optional and doesn’t add or detract from using any other feature of the app. If you and your friends like it and like keeping an eye on where each other are in the world, I guess it has some use.
However, you can also fake your location in WhatsApp to make it appear that you are elsewhere. There can be a number of instances when we want to fake our location like preparing a surprise for friends or family, pull a prank, or when you’re out and about and just don’t want anyone to know where you are. Whatever reason you might have, be mindful of consequences to your relationship (to whomever you want to share your fake location with).
Using Live Location In WhatsApp
WhatsApp Live Location is a feature that allows you to share your location in real time for a particular period of time. This feature is end-to-end encrypted, so you can be sure that your location can only be seen by the people you share it with.
You can turn live location on or off in WhatsApp depending on your needs. Here’s how to use it.
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone and open a chat with the person you want to share your location with.
- Select Attach (the paperclip icon) and select Location.
- Select Share Live Location and then Continue.
- Select a duration that you want to share your location.
- Select Continue to begin sharing.
- Launch WhatsApp and open a chat with the person you want to share your location with
- Tap the + button on the left side of the chatbox.
- From the menu that appears, tap Location.
- WhatsApp will then take you to a map. On this map is an option to Share Live Location. Go ahead and select it.
- WhatsApp will ask you how long you want to share your live location for; select the amount that’s right for you.
- Now you’re sharing your location!
WhatsApp will share your location for the duration you entered in Step 3 or until you manually stop it. To do that, select the Stop Sharing icon within the chat window and confirm your choice with Stop. When you share your location, you will see a map of the area with your profile picture to mark where you are. Your location will be periodically updated when you’re static and will dynamically update when you’re on the move.
It works much the same as using Snap Maps; although, the implementation is better in WhatsApp as you can manually select to share your location with particular people rather than all your friends. You can easily add friends to a group chat if you want to share your location with multiple people.
Fake Your Location In WhatsApp
Now that you know how to use live location in WhatsApp, you may want to know how to fake it. You have two options to do this. You can either manually select a location on Google Maps or you can use a GPS spoofing app to do it for you. The first method is simple but in the current version of WhatsApp, it can be easily perceived as fake.
Here’s how to fake your location using the manual method:
- Open a WhatsApp chat with the person you want to share your location with.
- Select Attach (the paperclip or + icon) and select Location.
- Select the search bar at the top of the map and type in your location of choice.
- Manually select a location from the map.
- Your faked location will now be shared with the person you’re chatting with.
When I tested this, I appeared on the map where I selected it but the supplementary address data was incorrect and occasionally appeared blank. This is a bit of a giveaway which is why this is not the best way to fake your location in WhatsApp.
The better way is to use a GPS spoofing app. We have covered these before on TechJunkie and they can work well in this situation. There are a bunch of these apps on the Google Play Store that you can use for this purpose. Some are free while others cost a couple of bucks. Find a good app that has good reviews and doesn’t cost much; then, install it in your phone.
For these apps to work, you will need Developer Options enabled on your phone. The GPS will need permissions to mess with the GPS on your phone and that isn’t covered by standard permissions.
Here’s how to pull it all together:
- Open your phone and navigate to Settings.
- Select About Phone and tap your Build Number seven times to enable. You should see a message that says ‘You are now a developer!’ if it worked.
- Download and install a fake GPS app.
- Allow it to access location and provide it the permissions it needs.
- Enable the app to provide a bogus GPS location. Follow the steps at the top to use live location in WhatsApp.
Typically, a fake GPS app will require access to your GPS and may need to be enabled in Developer Options. Once done, you will usually be able to select a location anywhere in the world using the app’s map. Once set, you set the app to show this location when one is requested by another app. This method works as tested it on an Android phone and WhatsApp. The user’s position was set to Mexico City and the map of that city appeared when the location was shared in WhatsApp. There was no obvious sign that the user was not really in that location, so it appears to be a great and effective method to use.
Do you know of any other effective ways to fake your location in WhatsApp? Tell us about it below if you do!