How To Find Someone on Twitter
Twitter is a great way to not only keep a bead on what your friends are doing, but also keep track of the latest headlines, trending topics, and hilarious videos. But before you can take full advantage of the popular social media platform, you must learn how to find the friends, famous people, and companies you want to follow. Twitter makes it as easy as possible to do exactly that.
How to Find Someone Using Their Twitter Handle
First of all, a Twitter handle is that funny little name following the @ symbol assigned to each profile. You can find it under someone’s name on their Twitter profile page. Of course, if you had access to someone’s profile page, then you wouldn’t need to find it.
Ask your friend or family member what their handle is. If you’re looking for a well known individual or organization, try to find it on their website or another social media page associated with their account. Once you have the Twitter handle, use it to find their profile page via one of the following methods.
Method One: Search on Twitter
- Go to https://twitter.com.
- Sign in to your Twitter account if you aren’t already.
- Type their Twitter handle into the search bar in the upper right hand corner.
- Select their handle from the list that drops down. Twitter handles are unique. If you have the correct one, it should be the first or only option.
Method Two: Search on Google
- Go to https://www.google.com.
- Enter the Twitter handle into the search field.
- Check the first page of results for links to that handle’s home page or popular tweets sent from that handle.
Method Three: Be Direct
- Go to https://twitter.com/[enter twitter handle without @ symbol].
This should take you directly to the profile page. It’s the fastest method, but it will only work if the username is exactly accurate.
What If You Don’t Know The Twitter Handle?
If you don’t know the handle, never fear. There are other ways to find people on Twitter. For one thing, you could try Googling their name and the word “Twitter.” This might even work if they are a well known individual or organization. However, it’s not likely to work for friends and family. Instead, you’ll have to explore some of Twitter’s more complex search functions.
- Got to https://twitter.com.
- Sign in to your account.
- Type their name into the search bar.
- Hit enter to view detailed results.
You likely won’t see their account right away. You’ll need to explore the Twitter search categories to locate it. But first you need to understand what the categories represent. Look to the row of tabs above the expanded search results.
- Top – Combination of accounts, tweets, photos, and videos that have the search term.
- Latest – Most recent results that have the search term.
- People – Only accounts that have the search term. Come here if you’re looking for people exclusively.
- Photos – Images connected with tweets that have the search term or are from accounts containing the search term.
- Videos – Videos connected with tweets or accounts with the search term.
- News – Tweets with the search term that have links to news articles.
- Broadcasts – Tweets with the search term containing live streams.
What If I Don’t Have a Twitter Account?
You can still search for accounts using the Twitter search function, even if you don’t have an account. However, you won’t be able to follow them using the Twitter follow function. You’ll have to just keep visiting their profile page to see what they have to say.
- Go to https://twitter.com.
- You are looking at trending tweets. Click on a profile to go to a profile page.
- Access the search bar from the random profile page in the upper right hand corner.
What if Don’t Know Who to Follow?
Not sure where to start? Try seeing who is following you or who your friends are following. If you have interests in common, then you’re likely to find some accounts that are right up your alley.