How To See Your Friends Birthdays on Facebook
With over 2.5 billion active users, Facebook is undeniably one of the most popular social media platforms. People of different age range use Facebook to keep in touch with family, friends, and acquaintances from all over the world.
“What’s your Facebook?” has become the tagline for many long term acquaintances. It’s easy to see how most of us have hundreds of online friends on this network, even if you only speak to four people on a daily basis. Facebook is a great place to send good vibes, and no matter how well you know a friend on social media, it’s always nice to send hearts and likes. It’s also really easy to send someone a quick note especially on special occasions such as birthdays. With Facebook, wishing your friends a “Happy birthday” has never been more fun, creative, and convenient, wherever they may be in the world.
Many of us aren’t really great at keeping track of birthdays, and it’s easy to forget some of them, especially if you have hundreds of Facebook friends. This article will explain how you can check your friend’s birthdays and make sure you wish them the best of happiness on their special day.
Friends and Their Birthdays
- Friends and Their Birthdays
- Checking a Friend’s Birthday Using Facebook Mobile App
- What if You Can’t Find a Friend’s Birthday Information?
- Wishing Your Facebook Friends a Happy Birthday
- Make Your Friends Feel Special
Finding the date of someone’s birthday on Facebook is easy, and the process is pretty much the same across devices and operating systems. Here is what to do:
Open the Facebook app or the page on your PC.
Find the “Events” tab and click it.
Select the “Birthdays” option.
View the birthdays of your friends.
The “Birthdays” tab is divided into several sections. The first birthdays that pop up are from friends who celebrate their birthdays that very day. It says “Today’s Birthdays” on top of the tab.
The second tab tells you “Recent” birthdays. This can include birthdays you recently missed, so be prepared to make your polite apologies! This will also show you the birthdays that are coming in the next few days. That way, you can make sure you remember to send them your best wishes on time.
The third tab will show you Upcoming birthdays, by the profile images of friends who are celebrating their birthdays through the end of the current month. As you scroll down, you’ll see birthdays later this month, and then broken down month-by-month. Facebook will display the profile picture of each friend by the month in which they celebrate their birthday.
The Calendar Tab
If you select the Calendar tab instead of the Birthdays tab, you will also get a list of friends’ birthdays, mixed with other events you are invited to. However, you can only see birthdays for a few days ahead.
Checking a Specific Friend’s Birthday
If you want to check birthday information for a specific friend, you have to open the person’s profile and click or tap the “About” tab. There you will find all of the personal information made available by that friend, including his or her workplace, date of birth, job information, and so on. Friends have the ability to choose what information is displayed publicly, to friends, and so on, so you may not find all the information you need here.
Checking a Friend’s Birthday Using Facebook Mobile App
With the latest updates on Facebook’s mobile app, you can no longer view your friend’s birthday information all at once (true to iPhone and Android users). However, you can still check their birthdays by going to their individual profile. This largely depends on your friend’s privacy settings, whether they want to show their birthday or not. Supposing that they do, here’s how to find your friend’s birthday in your mobile app.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Go to the profile of the person whose birthday you want to check. This can be done by tapping the magnifying glass icon at the top right corner of your screen, and key in their name.
- When you are on that friend’s profile, tap the three dots icon beside the “See (name) about info”.
- You should then be able to see your friend’s birthday under their “Basic Info” if they enabled this feature.
If you find the above method a bit too much to do, don’t worry. Facebook always sends daily birthday notifications to remind you of who among your friends are celebrating their birthdays.
What if You Can’t Find a Friend’s Birthday Information?
Sometimes, you won’t be able to find birthday information about a friend. Facebook privacy settings make it possible to keep the birthday information hidden. If this is the case, you have a few options. The first, of course, is to plead ignorance and contact your friend directly to ask them when you can wish them a happy birthday. If this is someone you don’t know very well, you might want to lay low and wait until you see others wishing that person a happy birthday.
Wishing Your Facebook Friends a Happy Birthday
When you want to wish someone a happy birthday on Facebook, you can do it in a few different ways. Of course, there’s no “one-size-fits-all” birthday greeting, so it’s always best to tailor your birthday message to the friend celebrating. For example, you probably wouldn’t offer the same birthday greetings to your boss as you would your closest best friend. (Or maybe you would- we’re not here to judge!) You can wish someone a happy birthday in the following ways.
- Post Something to Their Wall – If you want to make your birthday wishes available for everyone else to see, you can come up with an interesting message and post it on the person’s wall. It can be a text message or an image, or even a gif. Facebook will recommend a few festive emojis to throw in there, too. It all depends on your style, creativity, and the impact you want to make.
- Send a Private Message – Some people like to keep their birthday wishes private. If you are one of them, send a private message using the Facebook Messenger. Again, the message can contain an image or a gif, or maybe even a song that means something to the both of you. You could also send a quick video or hilariously edited photo to keep the birthday vibe on a high note.
- Give Your Friends a Birthday Call – Facebook Messenger allows you to call your friends directly, which can be a great option if you’d like to really sit down and talk to someone on their special day. You can organize a group call, too, and get the whole gang in together on one very meaningful birthday call.
- Post to Your Friend’s Story – You can now post a birthday Story for your friend on Facebook. To do this, tap the Birthday Story for your friend. You can find this icon on the tap of your News Feed. Choose to create a Card or Add Photo. You can then be creative with your birthday greetings by adding any effects, texts, stickers, or emojis you want. Your birthday story will only be visible for 24 hours.
Make Your Friends Feel Special
Sending someone a happy birthday message on Facebook takes only a few minutes, but it can mean a lot to the person and your relationship with them. Thankfully, Facebook makes the process easy enough that you won’t have to miss anyone’s birthday. Make your friends feel special and loved on their special day!