How to Change Your Chat Theme in Kik
While it’s still struggling to outgrow some more popular messaging apps, Kik has, in time, amassed millions of users. If you count yourself among the avid Kik users, there are probably several different chats on your app, and you might want to customize their individual appearance.
In this article, we’ll show you how to change the chat theme in Kik and give you other personalization tips to make your messaging experience a bit more unique.
Changing the Chat Theme
You can set a different chat theme for each one of your chats. The process is the same for Android and iOS users. To change the chat theme on Kik, follow these steps:
- Find the chat for which you’d like to assign a new theme in your chat list.
- Tap on the chat, then tap on the name of the user or group at the top.
- Tap Change Chat Theme
- Find a theme you like from the list of available ones and tap on Set Theme.
The selected chat will now be displayed with the new look you’ve chosen, and everyone in the chat will be able to see it.
Some of the themes for Kik chat are free, while others can be purchased with Kin, the app’s internal currency. In the next sections, we’ll explain what Kin is, how to earn the currency, and how to purchase themes with it.
What Is Kin and How to Earn It?
Kin is a digital currency that functions on the Ethereum platform. While it’s still in development, and the Kik team has grand ambitions for the cryptocurrency in the future, right now, the Kin economy revolves around the messaging app. However, it is a digital currency with monetary value, so it can be exchanged for real money.
Kin Marketplace currently has several options to earn Kin. If you visit the Marketplace, you’ll find the available options under Earn Opportunities. There are tutorials, quizzes, and other tasks you can complete and be rewarded with Kin.
Users can earn Kin through engagement with the Kik community, such as bug reporting, content production, sharing experiences and services, engaging with brands, and completing surveys. At its current stage, you’ll likely spend your Kin on customization features, such as themes, emoticons, and chatbots.
How to Purchase Chat Themes with Kin?
If you have an Android device, there are two ways to purchase new themes for chat. Unfortunately, neither option is available for iOS at this time, so iPhone users will have to settle for a selection of free themes.
On Android, the first method of purchasing themes is through chat. Here’s how to do this:
- Tap on a chat from the chat list on Kik, then hit the user or group name.
- Select Change Chat Theme to browse through available themes. You’ll notice that themes available for purchase have a price indicated next to them.
- Select the theme you’d like to buy and tap Buy.
- Finally, tap Confirm Purchase to finish the process.
Note that the themes you buy from the chat will become available for any chat, not only for the chat you’ve entered to access the purchase option.
The second way to buy chat themes in Kik is through the Kin Marketplace. To use this method, follow these steps:
- Go to the main chat list and tap on the Plus (+) icon.
- Tap Kin Marketplace Beta.
- Select Chat Themes under Spend Opportunities.
- Find the theme you want to purchase, tap Buy, and then tap Confirm Purchase.
- Leave the Kin Marketplace and return to the chat list. From there, you’ll be able to assign the new theme to chats, following the method we’ve previously described.
A customized chat experience brings much more fun than looking at an SMS-like interface on a single-color background. Luckily, being focused on a younger audience, Kik offers plenty of customization options and gorgeous, modern themes. Now that you know how to change Kik’s chat theme, your conversations will become livelier with a new flare.
What themes did you choose for your Kik chats? Did you purchase them with Kin? How did you earn Kin? Let us know in the comments section below.